last update: 20160612
May 27, 2016
"Grrrl / Queer / Feminist Zines": The 6th lecture
memorandum (some part of lecture contents)
In this lecture, we examined in detail "The Riot Grrrl Manifesto" (1991) [->Japanese edition], and I pointed out the following several remarkable points.
- This is extremely faithful to the spirit of PUNK/DIY.
- They(=Kathleen Hanna and 'grrrls') maintained thoroughly undaunted attitude against male critics, 'authorities', and violent boys.
- They tried to overcome the discriminations of all kinds.
- They made clearly an issue of the entire system of capitalism.
- They set the subject to 'we'='girls'(not 'women') persistently.
- They absolutely believed the potential of 'girls'='us'.
From the above, it will be possible to set up two hypothesis.
(1) Their stance has an affinity with Anarcha-feminism.
(2) We can find here overlapped situation of the second-wave feminism (as foundations) and third-wave feminism (as a house).
List: [Serial Publication] Notes on Grrrl / Queer / Feminist Zines
Author: MURAKAMI Kiyoshi